UK Transition // Industry sector advice

Construction, infrastructure & housing

Check and change – 5 steps construction, infrastructure and housing companies can take to be ready to go after the transition period

The UK has left the EU, and the transition period will end on 31 December 2020. From January 2021, there will be important changes for businesses.  

Here are five things construction, infrastructure and housing companies can check and change now to be ready to go. For more actions your business may need to take before January 2021 visit and use the checker tool

  1. Comply with the new immigration policies for recruiting from overseas

    From 1 January 2021, the UK will introduce a points-based immigration system. EU and non-EU citizens will be treated equally and will need to meet certain requirements to come to the UK to work. If you want to recruit workers from outside the UK from 1 January 2021, you will need to be a licensed sponsor. Registering as a sponsor normally takes eight weeks and fees apply. To find out more about the new system, including how to register as a sponsor, visit:

  2. Check if a visa or work permit is required to travel to the EU for work purposes and apply if necessary.  

    If you travel to the EU for work purposes from 1 January 2021, you may need a visa or work permit. The country you are travelling to might also ask you to have other additional documents depending on the activity you perform. This advice may be relevant to anyone travelling to the EU for work purposes: this could include anyone working in the private, public or third sector, for example, professional and business services, manufacturing, charities, or the arts. For more information, visit:

  3. Use the ‘Check How to Export Goods’ tool on to look up information on overseas tariffs, rules and border formalities for trading your goods worldwide.

    Use the ‘Check How to Export Goods’ service on GOV.UK to check duties and customs procedures for exporting your goods worldwide. Failure to complete the proper documentation or follow the correct procedures may result in delays getting goods through customs as well as unexpected taxes on goods upon entry to the destination and country. From January 2021, there will be new requirements for how you export goods from the UK. Use the service at:

  4. Check if Import VAT is due at the border

    If you import any goods from the EU into Great Britain, you may need to pay Import VAT from 1 January 2021. Import VAT will not be due at the border if goods in a consignment are worth less than £135. The only exception to this is consignments containing excise goods, where Import VAT (along with Excise and Customs duties where applicable) will be due at the border.
    For more information, visit here.

  5. Apply due diligence to export/import timber from UK to EU to meet legal harvest requirements.

    If you import or export timber between the UK and EU/EEA, you may need to prove it’s been legally harvested from 1 January 2021. You’ll need to show imports from the EU and EEA to the UK have been legally harvested by carrying out due diligence checks. If you’re exporting timber to the EU or EEA, you may need to supply documentation about the source and legality of your timber. This is so EU and EEA-based customers can meet the EU Timber Regulation (EUTR) due diligence rules. Due diligence systems will vary business by business.

    More information is available here.

Further information

Speak with your lawyer and accountant or visit for tailored business information and to sign up for email updates. 

Also in this section: