The region // Sectors
Location, Location, Location
Containing over 40% of the UK’s grade 1 agricultural land, the East of England is home to a high concentration of the Agri-Tech industry. The area has one of the strongest research pipelines in Europe, and couples excellence in technology with a long history in triggering discoveries that form the basis of global products and are revolutionising the sector.
East Cambridgeshire plays a significant role within the wider region with a number of large producers and agri-businesses that collectively make up over 3% of employment within the local economy.
The Eastern Agri-Tech Innovation Hub near Soham was completed in 2015 after NIAB and East Cambridgeshire District Council were awarded over £500,000 funding for this unique facility. Research and trial activity at the hub includes:
- Waste reduction — healthy soils, crop production, field and post harvest storage
- Waste management — packing, processing and alternative uses and markets
- Increase value or application potential for new products from waste streams
- Identifying opportunities to recycle waste or generate energy and co-products
- Target total and marketable field losses, due to weather, pests and diseases or other damage
- Reduce loss of quality or specification in store due to crop physiology, disease or storage conditions
The Eastern Agri-Tech Innovation Hub
Learn more about this pioneering centre which specialises in food waste reduction and was set up by NIAB and partners in 2014.
Find out more
Also in this section: